Monday, August 16, 2010

Tricks of the Trade: 360 Degree Video


Recently, I had the opportunity to do a 360 degree panorama in an extremely tight space. I stripped everything down to a bare minimum and decided to triple-shoot it, HD video, with three different cameras. A medium large, DSLR, a Hero Go-pro, and an iPhone 4G. I discarded the iPhone immediately because I couldn't fabricate a bracket fast enough. The Go-Pro and the DSLR were placed flush on a lazy susan, which I quickly fabricated from two pieces of wood I had in the studio, and a teflon/ball bearing LS. I didn't have time to embed a 1/4 20. So I reached into my bag of tricks, took out a piece of modeling clay, and temporarily cemented the camera to the lazy susan. Clean, simple, inexpensive...Oh yeah, and it works. When you try to remove the camera, it's almost like it's cemented to the turntable. But once it pops up, a little bit of denatured alcohol, and it's clean as a whistle. Don't get it in the hole for the 1/4 20! It will take a little time getting that out.. and as we all know, time is money.









No comments:

Post a Comment