Tuesday, February 22, 2011

There is a God.



                                                   ©Joe DiMaggio
Gene Smith
12/20/1918 - 10/15/1978
God
If you follow this blog, you know I tend to be wordy, and repeat myself. You've heard me say I'm the luckiest guy in the world, and that's just true. I had an opportunity to assist Gene Smith back in the day and I can't tell you how much I learned. In the last 20 years I felt guilty because I didn't execute in a way that Smith would be proud of my work. I made photographs for clients that wanted and needed to control the situation. When pushed too hard, I resigned several clients, which in today's market, would be just crazy. It's only in the last few years I'm starting to go back to what Gene taught me. I hope it shows in my documentary film making. There is no doubt if Smith was alive today, he would be doing films rather than stills. The bottom line is he was the greatest, period, end of discussion. Nobody was better. I don't think we're going to see anybody better. Yes, Smith was a God! Thank you, Gene and I miss you everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment