Thursday, April 7, 2011

Andreas the Giant


     When I was in my twenties, thirties, and maybe forties, I found it difficult or maybe challenging to genuinely appreciate other photographer's work. I don't know if that's a lack of confidence in my own work, or if it's an overactive ego, or maybe I'm just not that smart. To be quite frank, I really don't know. But on April 3rd, I had an opportunity to stop by the Hasted Kraeutler gallery, and much to my surprise I had an opportunity to see some amazing photography. Andreas Gefeller really nailed it. He calls it the "Japanese Series". My god, that made it even more powerful. If it's one thing I've learned from my asian brothers and sisters, it's simplicity in design is extremely powerful stuff. This young photographer blew my doors off. My partner JoAnne was equally impressed, and my dear friend Dennis Wheeler loved it. He leaves you mesmerized with simple, clean, elegant lines. He takes obscene clutter and simplifies it to a point of beauty. As I was leaving the gallery, I walked over, grabbed his hand, embraced him, and told him how much I loved the work.  If it was 30 years ago, I may have grumbled, grinded my teeth, and mumbled under my breath, "I wish I took that damn photo!" Andreas, I take my beret off to you. Great work.
                                                                                                    ©Andreas Gefeller

No comments:

Post a Comment