Friday, May 13, 2011

A Day When Everything Went Right

Manfrotto International Journalists ©2011 Joe DiMaggio
It seems like nowadays, when you pick up a newspaper, turn on the news, or even meet a friend for a drink there are so many negative stories out there and it kind of drives you crazy. However, every once in a while, you have a totally blown out great day where everything goes right - no negative stuff.That was this past Wednesday. I had the privilege of taking 22 international journalists on a photographic tour in lower Manhattan for Manfrotto. I imparted some of my photographic knowledge and they were gracious enough to bring me up to speed on world issues from many of their respective countries from Italy to China and back again. A great time was had by all. To all of my new friends I met on the walk you have a open invitation anytime to come visit us at the DiMaggio/Kalish Learning Center. Afterwards JoAnne and I were attending Manfrotto's special event by invitation only - An Evening to Imagine More and what a exciting and motivating evening that was.

My best friend and life partner, JoAnne Kalish, had a day that was equally special. Let me bring you up to speed, JoAnne did one of the finest portraits I've ever seen of a world famous artist  Will Barnet. I love the portrait so much that I asked her to make me a copy for over my desk so I could always admire it. JoAnne happened to be in Will's neighborhood on Wednesday and gave him a call to say hello. The two of them spent the afternoon sitting in beautiful Gramercy Park catching up on life, the artworld, his last few shows, recent reviews, her photography and his future retrospective in September at National Academy of Art in NYC. I will end this blog with a quote from Will Barnet - as Will was telling JoAnne that everyone loves the portraits she did of him so much (including him) and that they are being used everywhere from Farnsworth to Naples to the Montclair Museum to the National Academy of Art and for all his catalogs. He told her he had numerous photos taken of him over the years (he will be 100 years old on May 25th) by many great photographers including Arnold Newman but her photograph of him is by far better than even Arnold Newman's portraits of him. It took JoAnne very much by surprise to hear that, and certainly made her day even more special. 

All Photos © Joe DiMaggio (or JoAnne Kalish)




DiMaggio & Violante Placido




JoAnne Kalish with Marcus Samuelsson
JoAnne Kalish with Mia Moretti

1 comment:

  1. This is cool - wish I were in NYC to join the tour, but I am still in LA waiting for my first grandchild.

    ReplyDelete