Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pete Hamill: Perfection


As a working photographer for my whole life, I've always had a love-hate relationship with writers. And I think most writers would not only agree, but they would agree with much finer pros. When we teach photography, invariably one word comes up, and that's "perfection". In reality, nothing is perfect.
When you think you've seen everything, all of a sudden Pete Hamill, with all of his great editing skills and a history of journalism that transcends 6 decades, you would figure he would go out to pasture. Or, do old writers put the cover on their Remington typewriters? Well, he didn't do either. Tabloid City is one of the most amazing books I've ever read. I read it once and I'm now re-reading it for a second time. He's taken everything he's learned in all those years and crammed it into a few pages. You can't put it down! Pete, thank you so much. What a wonderful book. You've proved the old adage- you get better with age. It's perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment