Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Filmmaker Albert Maysles

December 16, 2009

I guess there’s an old adage that the teacher becomes the student. Our son Dylan had a great opportunity two years ago. He worked as an intern for Al Maysels. Al is recognized as the father of modern documentary cinematography. His awards are absolutely amazing. Grey Gardens has just closed on Broadway and the feature film was a Blockbuster. His original film on Grey Gardens and Salesmen are classic studies made in the way documentaries should be made. I had the pleasure to meet Al a few years ago at a cocktail party and reception.

Being in Al's presence is being in the presence of greatness. He's soft spoken, has a very small ego, and is a great talent. He was kind enough to invite me to his home along with my partner JoAnne Kalish and son Dylan to do a one-hour interview on his life & career.

I have very few heroes. One was Gene Smith, who I had the pleasure of assisting back in the day. Al is also a hero of mine. He has been kind enough to help me with my film In This Corner… Just came across a few photos of Al and thought all the Ships at Sea would like to take a look at a photograph of a great filmmaker

Photos © Joe DiMaggio

No comments:

Post a Comment