Monday, December 14, 2009

We All Fell Hard When We Lost Budd

It’s difficult for me to get with the program. The program changes monthly, or daily, or minute by minute. Somewhere in the 1970’s I had an assignment to photograph a man by the name of Budd Schulberg, one of the greatest writers who ever lived and one hell of a great guy. As famous and as infamous as Budd was, to sit and have a drink with a man who had a lot of drinks with F. Scott Fitzgerald back in the day is beyond cool. He let me have a small glimpse into his world, and for that I am extremely grateful. I know it’s a cliché, but they don’t make them like that anymore.

Budd Schulberg (March 27, 1914 – August 5, 2009) was an American screenwriter, television producer, novelist and sports writer. He was known for his 1941 novel, What Makes Sammy Run?, his 1947 novel The Harder They Fall, his 1954 Academy-award-winning screenplay for On the Waterfront, and his 1957 screenplay for A Face in the Crowd. Budd had a very special way of motivating people. We talked about a boxing documentary in the late 70’s, and I took his advice. Thank you Budd, you will be missed.




©Joe DiMaggio

No comments:

Post a Comment